SANDRA SUE BENSON ANIMAL ADOPTION CENTER
SPCA SAN PAT COUNTY ANIMAL SHELTER BUILDING
Photo Gallery SPCA San Pat Building Progress
Land Purchased 2010
Building Ordered 2014
More Progress 2014
Group Photo 2017
Video: A Peek Inside
Video: Pets in Kennel
Open House – August.27.2017
Announcement Posted 3.23.2017
Open house will be Saturday, Aug. 27, 2017 from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Everyone is invited and welcome. Come and see our new animal shelter that we have been working to build for 10 years. Our location is 4630 FM 1069, on the same side as Walmart but a little farther down past the trailor court. Hope to see you there!
Sandra sue benson animal adoption center
Announcement Posted 1.7.2017
We are now open for adoptions and have several kitties, cats, and dogs. For more information you can call 361-332-1445. Come tour our building during open hours which are 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Tuesdays, Thursday, and Saturdays. You can also check out the animals on our Facebook page, SPCA San Pat County.
building updates in chronological order
- November 2010: Land is Purchased … On to the Building! It is located on HWY 1069 just past Walmart and Lowes.
- November 2011: The building and the utilities complete will be approximately $250,000 total.
- February 2013:Our building fund is now at $122,881.
- February 2014: We have just received a $50,000 grant from the Ed Rachal Foundation to start our building. This puts our total fund for the building at $200,654.20.
- June 2014: We have just received a donation for $100,000.00 from Arthur Benson.The building plans are being drawn. .Building fund is now $300,000 plus.
- November 2014: The building has been ordered. The plans areapproved and staking out for the cement and plumbing stubs will start any day.
- December 2014:. The fill dirt for the building is in place and packed down.
- March 2015: Construction has begun on the building site. Dirt has been hauled in, leveled, and the plumbing stubbed in. The cement has been poured for the floor. As of March 27, the building is starting to go up. The workers are putting the steel columns together.
- May 2015: The outside of the building is now up.
- December 2015: The inside of the building is almost completed. We need furnishings. The fill dirt needs to be leveled and probably more dirt brought in. The forms for the dog runs (at the rear of the building) are ready for the concrete. The septic system is complete. We need to get the water connected to the water line in front. And we need to add our name to the building, SANDRA SUE BENSON ANIMAL ADOPTION CENTER, SPCA San Pat County.
- January 2016: Inside of building is coming along nicely. We have front desks, washer, dryer, refrigerator, and small dog and cat cages. The cat rooms are looking nice with trees painted on the walls with cat perches on the trees. Cat furniture is being built and beds and litter boxes have been installed. Now on to the dog rooms.
- The shelter is close to being open. The main thing we need now is a fence around the center and front part of the ground. This is for the safety of the animals and of the humans who care for them.
- Our fence has been ordered and will be installed as soon as the ground gets dry enough to allow trucks in to add more fill dirt around the building. Then comes the fence. And then we will be ready to open. In the meantime detail work is being done on the smaller things. Staining and finishing of the railing and front flower gardens has been completed. Dona Farrar is our new shelter director and she is getting everything all fancied up for the grand opening that will be coming SOON.
- Our complete 4 acres has been cleared and all the trash hauled off. The land looks good. Lots of good things will happen here in the future. The fence is about 2/3 completed with the outside fence still to come. Time frame is 10 to 14 days if no problems. We have the signs on the building now. Grand opening is now being planned for the end of August. We will be sure to publish the information when it is for sure.
- Open house will be Saturday, Aug. 27, 2017 from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Everyone is invited and welcome. Come and see our new animal shelter that we have been working to build for 10 years. Our location is 4630 FM 1069, on the same side as Walmart but a little farther down past the trailor court. Hope to see you there!